The Champlain Hudson Power Express (CHPE) is an innovative renewable power transmission project that will deliver REAL. CLEAN. POWER. to New York. The project will play a key role in the state’s energy transformation, lowering greenhouse gas emissions, creating jobs, and generating billions of dollars in new investment in New York’s economy while also delivering low-cost renewable energy to New York State.
Now proceeding into construction, CHPE is the most powerful project you will never see. It is now supplementing its core team with well driven individuals to ensure that it successfully delivers on its contracted obligation to provide clean energy, resiliency, and environmental responsibility to New York by mid-2026.
Two five-inch-diameter cables will be placed underwater or underground and run 339 miles from the U.S.-Canadian border, south through Lake Champlain, along and under the Hudson River, and eventually ending at a converter station that will be built in Astoria, Queens. The line will deliver 1,250 MW of renewable, reliable, low-cost power to New York City. CHPE’s route has been carefully designed to minimize its impact on the environment. Burying the line within the waterways, existing roads, and railroad rights of way will keep it out of sight and protect it from extreme weather.
Working collaboratively out of its NYC and Albany offices, the CHPE team is looking to add to its team a Vice President of QA/QC. Reporting to the SVP of Engineering, this team member will be responsible for leadership, coordination, and overall quality assurance and quality control management of CHPE’s Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) and field contractors’ scopes of supply including design, manufacturing, material supplies and installation and interface handovers. Key responsibilities will involve being the team lead providing key quality assurance and control between the CHPE design and construction teams and equipment suppliers and installation contractors to ensure that the manufacturing, installation, and handover requirements are fully understood and are reflected in the ongoing design, construction, safety, and insurance requirements for the project. This individual will work with the entire project team and various manufacturers and contractors to provide guidance to audit quality control framework and maintain project compliance with audit methodology, while also operating within industry best practices, applicable regulations, and internal and external professional practice expectations.
The individual will provide technical and supervisory guidance to applicable team members and will work with CHPE’s engineers, manufacturers, and contractors to ensure that applicable manufacturing, installation, and handovers are in conformance with quality assurance industry standards and project specifications. The work requires the ability to manage multiple workstreams/QC packages simultaneously, and the ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND TASKS
- Management and oversight of QA/QC efforts of a multi-entity program comprising the owner, owner’s engineer, Engineer of Record (EOR), and multiple manufacturers and installation contractors.
- Integrate into the construction and manufacturing teams to assemble plans facilitating the proposed quality control workstream.
- Work closely with Owner’s Engineer’s Quality Assurance Manager and their team to ensure required outcomes.
- Reviews quality assurance/ quality control plans for adherence to industry standards and project
- Provide oversight of QA/QC of cable and cable accessory related activities including but not limited to cable and accessory manufacturing (including Factory Acceptance Tests); submarine cable installation; cable jointing activities; and contractor turnover compliance activities.
- Provide oversight of QA/QC of terrestrial cable installation activities including but not limited to design compliance with manufacturer’s guidelines; code compliance; OEM equipment storage methodology compliance; equipment installation compliance with manufacturer’s guidelines, installation material sub supplier’s compliance with project requirements and turnover compliance activities.
- Provide oversight of QA/QC of converter station design and construction activities including but not limited to: design compliance, component manufacturing (including Factory Acceptance Tests); construction compliance and turnover and commissioning activities.
- Meet with contractors and suppliers and review and explain QA/QC requirements; identify necessary actions to obtain compliance; make on-site field inspections as necessary to respond to questions from inspectors and contractors; work with contractors and engineers on remediation strategies for non-conforming construction, installation, and manufacturing activities.
- Perform field work as needed to observe construction and staff QA/QC work, gather field data and for other purposes.
REQUIRED & PREFERRED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Assist in the authoring and interpretation of firm policies and compliance requirements for incorporation into business systems/procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of QA/QC program installation and integration techniques over the development and lifecycle of the project.
- Considerable knowledge of HVDC cable, construction materials, manufacturing and related construction installation techniques, and the ability to determine whether QA/QC specifications and standards are being met.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships and communicate effectively with the manufacturers and
- Coordinating work across the QA/QC team, including local and remote staff.
- A minimum of 10 years of directly related experience in QA/QC at a large engineering and construction organization or large equipment manufacturer with multiple and concurrent project installation and development efforts.
- Previous QA/QC experience with utility scale gas transmission and/or underground electric transmission services a plus.
- Possession of a valid New York State driver’s license.
- Domestic and international travel will be required of this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business management, engineering or related field with considerable experience of a progressively responsible nature in Quality Assurance / Quality control in an engineering/construction or manufacturing environment, including supervisory experience would be preferred.
For interested applicants, please send your resume to email@example.com.